I took a car for a test drive this week. My current car is a 2004 and I have the seat perfectly adjusted so I can sit in alignment. Sitting in this 2010 car my head was pushed forward by the head rest. No matter how I adjusted the seat I could not sit with my hips shoulders and ears in alignment. That darn head rest kept pushing my head forward.
So, I asked the car salesman. He said that not too long ago the government changed the guidelines for manufacturing car seats. They wanted to make sure that the head is on the head rest….. so they moved the head rest forward…
Does anyone see a HUGE red flag here?
Were the older cars wrong? Or, could it be that our bodies have “adapted” to our new computer working, cell phone gazing, sitting shape? Please say it isn’t so! The government, in trying to keep us safe (which I greatly appreciate), adapted the guidelines to fit this new position of our body?
What is the big deal you may ask.
Take an object about 10 lbs.and hold it in your hands. Notice the weight. Now extend your arms so you are holding it in front of you with your arms straight. The weight did not change but it feels heavier, right?
Now think of your head (weighs about 10 lbs.) held up by your neck. With the head jutted forward those poor neck muscles are working over time. And then the back muscles need to help out.
Exercise is important. But it is only about 3% of our day if we do 45 minutes of exercise a day. The other 97% of our day is hugely important. How we hold our body during most of the day can be a breeding ground for chronic pain and injury. It can also be the breeding ground for health and well-being. It is our choice.
This week: pay attention to your body position in daily activities like driving, eating, reading, watching TV, working on a computer, brushing your teeth, talking on the phone, looking at your smart phone.
- Notice where your head is in relation to your body.
- Notice where you feel your weight most when sitting – on your tailbone and back, front of your hips or in the middle.
- Notice the weight of your arms and legs.
- Notice where your weight is on your feet when standing – on the toes, heels or in-between.
- Which side of the body do you use more?
- Which side do you put more weight on when sitting, standing or carrying?
Feel free to add your comments about what you notice and we will continue the chat next week…
Keep Moving, Be Well